Richmond Historical Society - Old Round Church
Annual Meeting and Winter Program - Sunday, February 19 at 3:00 pm in the Richmond Free Library. slide show of Joseph Bishop's Historic Richmond Photos. More ...
The Richmond Historical Society serves the community of Richmond, Vermont through its mission to oversee the Old Round Church, a National Historic Landmark, and preserve and share the history of Richmond, Vermont.
The Old Round Church, was built in 1812-13 under the direction of local craftsman William Rhodes to be the Town Meeting Hall and place of worship for members of five Protestant denominations. Significant for its rare design and well-preserved detail, it is perhaps the sole surviving example of an early 19th-century 16-sided wooden meetinghouse. Today it is open to the public during the summer and fall foliage seasons (10-4 daily) and serves as a venue for weddings and community programs. Click here for driving directions.
Nothing Ventured, Nothing Have - a documentary video about the Old Round Church by Richmond filmmaker John Billingsley. The video first aired as part of the Margot George Short Film Competition at the 2012 Green Mountain Film Festival. An expanded version played during the 2013 Old Round Church Bicentennial Celebration. Click here to view the full video.
The Richmond Round Church 1813 -2013. This 60-page commemorative booklet was published in 2013 in honor of the Old Round Church's bicentennial. The booklet traces the history of the Old Round Church from its conception to the present day, accompanied by more than 65 imaged documenting the changes the building has undergone and significant events that have taken place there. From worship services to Town Meetings to weddings and other special events, the Old Round Church has a rich and varied history as a community gathering place. This souvenir booklet honors that history. It may be purchased for $10.00 at the Richmond Town Clerk's office and at scheduled Bicentennial Celebration events, or by contacting Fran Thomas at (802) 434-3654 or
Richmond is a thriving community located in the western foothills of Vermont's Green Mountains on the banks of the Winooski River. Well-situated in a fertile floodplain along one of Vermont's most important transportation corridors, the town has a rich heritage dating back to the 1770's. The Richmond Historical Society is proud to act as steward of this heritage. To become a member, make a donation or find out more about RHS programs and activities, write to us at:
P. O. Box 453, Richmond, VT 05477 or send an e-mail to